Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Peake experience

Look out for a new author marking out his stamping ground in discussions about the metaphysical, paranormal and just plain weird stuff.

Anthony Peake is the perfect companion for people who love to speculate about all those things we haven't satisfactorily explained, and may never do so. He is a very twenty-first century heir to a tradition of ruminations on the nature of reality that goes back thousands of years. What makes Peake interesting is his ability to mix modern scientific knowledge and theory with ancient beliefs and philosophical positions.

If you haven't already encountered his misleadingly titled Is There life After Death  or The Daemon, and you're interested in exploring the evidence for Peake's claim that we never actually die, but actually go on repeating our lives over and over,  you could skip the rest of this blog and go straight to his: http://cheatingtheferryman.blogspot.com/ or his website , www.anthonypeake.com/ (and from the latter to his forum, in which various aspects of the Peake world view are discussed.

If you are familiar with the books or the ideas, I offer my own response to Is There Life After Death by way of contribution to the discussion.

As I read the book I was excited to discover that Peake had read several books which have been among my favourites. One was The Beginning of Consciousness In The Breakdown Of the Bicameral Mind. The others were An Experiment With Time by J. W Dunne and  The Death Of Forever by the late Darryl Reannie, who was born in New Zealand and later moved to Australia. Rather surprisingly, Peake mentions the Reannie book in passing but omits it from his bibliography. This is odd because Reannie is treading on similar Territory and making similar conclusions about their central subject of Time, and how it is perceived subjectively and scientifically. Reannie is also interested in the concept of parallel universes. We will speak more of Darryl Reannie in a  coming post - except to say that he makes fewer conclusions than Peake who appears to have decided that he has "proved" his hypothesis that none of us do die, despite appearances to the contrary (indeed the essence of Peake's theory is that death is something that happens to other people.

There are many threads in Peake's argument, which he tries to bring together at the end of his book. En route it's an interesting journey through the twilight zones of quantum physics, the science of the brain, and human experience, mostly documented by individuals and therefore "unproven."

Peake seems keen to prove that all of human experience takes place within the brain, which is in his view the seat of consciousness. But, in contrast with other materialists, Peake uses scientific evidence to argue that there is no death, as far as the individual is concerned. At the point of death, he argues, the chemicals in our brains which affect our perception of time slow that perception down to a virtual standstill. At this point our brains run through what he calls a Bohmian Imax (named for the physicist David Bohm) , creating a "virtual reality" replay of our entire lives. Everyone else watching us sees us die, but from our point of view we never do. 

I am of course oversimplifying a  theory that takes Peake several hundred pages to elucidate. But that is the nub of it. There are a number of  obvious queries that arise from it. The most obvious is the sheer solipcism of the whole thing. If  we are hallucinating our lives as we lie on the ground somewhere bleeding to death, what are we to make of the people with whom we imagine we are spending our lives ? How can they be anything more than 'sims'? If Peake or any of his followers sincerely believe that they are experiencing the Bohmian IMAX, how can they treat anyone else with the respect that a real human being might expect?

Peake claims to have dealt with this question in his book, but this reader at least didn't get it. At one point he brings in the concept of parallel universes, to suggest that when we die,  a new world branches off  in which we "escape" from the danger that kills us in one world. But this would appear to be a different road completely than starting our lives all over again "eternal return" style. Does he mean that we actually keep going on one road and start all over again on another? Peake claims somewhat annoyingly that parallel universes are a proven fact, but it's also a fact that a lot of physicists don't believe in them.

There are other problems. Do we always know when we are going to die, so that we can slow time down quickly enough (!) to live our lives over and over again? It is hard not to believe that there are many times in which sudden death would win the race with the brain chemicals. 

Peake argues that the "life review" which people who have near-death-experiences describe is proof of his theory. In my opinion, it's not. Descriptions of life reviews usually involve some sense of observation, whereas Peake's proposal involves a three-dimensional re-experience of one's whole life, repeated ad-infinitum.

On the other hand it must be said that Peake raises enough questions and highlights enough bizzare phenomena for us to at least be forced to admit that something is happening Mr Jones. Is There life After Death? is like a more erudite version of Ripley's Believe It Or Not. And his attempts at holism are admirable. He has since published another book, which I have not read, called The Daemon,  and he does say that he and a colleague are working on the original theory with a new line that seems to involve some sort of collective unconscious.

 How this would be sustained in his materialistic model of life I'm not sure. Peake rejects telepathy, ghosts, reincarnation and indeed anything outside the brain in  Is There Life After Death?, when I believe his model would be well-served by adopting the ideas of Rupert Sheldrake, and conceding that there are waves and fields which don't have a material existence and don't required the continued existence of brains to sustain them.


 

6 comments:

Anthony Peake said...

Thank you for an excellent, and very even-handed review of my first book. Your reservations are quite reasonable ones and these have been discussed in some detail on my FORUM and Blogsite.

Indeed one of my major concerns was the solipsistic implications of the theory but I consider that this has now been overcome.

My first book was originally written nine years ago and the "Cheating The Ferryman" theory has been refined over the years. Indeed I always stressed that it was a theory and theories have to be dynamic.

It is possible that your initial reservations may be overcome in the latest "version".

Just one or two small points;

I don't recall ever suggesting that the MWI was the correct interpretation of the enigmas of quantum physics .... and in reality the two alternatives, "The Copenhagen interpretation" and Bohm's "Implicate Order" both seem to support my theory.

Secondly, in my opinion (and it is only my opinion) I think that my position is slightly more eclectic than "materialistic" (indeed it amuses me that "materialists" criticise me for being a "New Ager spiritist". Oh well!!). My philosophy is to abandon these cliches and try to approach the mysteries of consciousness within a new paradigm that is neither "Idealist" or "Materialist" because I genuinely believe that the answer lies in a joining together of these two positions.

Thank you also for your Amazon Review. Again, very fair-minded and balanced.

Finally, I have just finished being "Author of the Month" on the Graham Hancock website (www.grahamhancock.com). You may find it interesting to check this out.

Oh, yes, it would also be great to have somebody such as yourself on my FORUM. I am sure that you could be a great asset in assisting in the ongoing development of my theories.

Best Wishes

Tony

www.anthonypeake.com

Dave Richards said...

Anthony, thanks for your thoughtful response to my review, and also for the link from your blog. I'm looking forward to exploring your further ideas further in the future. When I first read the book, it dominated my thoughts for months. I bought several copies and gave them to friends. I think I found I had to draw back from the concepts because ultimately I couldn't absorb them into my "reality" ... particularly the idea of alternate universes. The review was a way of "moving on", with the plan of returning after I had time to let my own unconscious work with the ideas and my concerns about them, while also acknowledging the power of those ideas.

I agree that "materialism" is a loaded word. I was referring to your argument (or at least how I interpreted your argument) that consciousness is fundamentally a function of the brain. Sheldrake sees the brain as a "receiver" which consciousness animates .. the "ghost in the machine", if you like.

By the way , while I think "gardening in the centre" would be an excellent nom de plume, it actually resulted from my filling out the Google form wrongly while I was creating a blog on a far more concrete subject !

Donald Schneider said...

Dave,

I first encountered your review on Amazon. Since it is two years old or so now, I was afraid you would not see my response to it there. Therefore, I found your blog.

I thought your review was most perceptive, by way of understatement. Indeed, it was as if my thoughts came out of your mind! It is obvious that Mr. Peake, yourself and myself have all traveled the same road through our readings and investigations into metaphysical matters. When I first encountered Mr. Peake’s idea I was dumbfounded that he and I had arrived at the same conclusion: independently of each other. Such always adds credibility to an idea in my mind; i.e., that we reached the same conclusion without influencing each other.

For awhile, I had at least entertained the idea of solipsism due to my perception that there seemed to be too many “coincidences” within my life to be explained by mere chance. Therefore, the idea that I was causing all of this to happen seemed at least possible, albeit somewhat farfetched. After dwelling upon the matter, I concluded that I personally could not imagine or create the myriad individuals and situations present within my perception of life. Therefore, I abandoned the idea of what I term “radical solipsism,” the idea that I personally am all that exists in reality.

I then formulated a variation of solipsism identical to that of Mr. Peake’s. I concluded that we all do exist, but each in our personal universe. To use an analogy (which is always most helpful in such matters), it is as if we are casting a movie and can draw from all the characters that exist in reality (each in their own universes); some are cast as co-stars, others as significant, still others as bit players and extras. (The last characters being, for example, people we pass on the road each day but never actually meet.) We might or might or might not appear (though technically not exist per se) in the universes of people who we have willed into ours.

Although this is not radical solipsism, it is still solipsism. Therefore, an objection might be to inquire if I am not wasting my time writing this post since you don’t actually exist in my universe to read it. The answer to that is that you might (or might not) will my post (and indirectly me) into your universe just as I have drawn yours into mine. Whether you choose to respond to this post (in my universe) is up to me and not you (albeit I lack control over much of what I unknowingly will into being). If you will my post in your personal universe, then it is up to you whether you choose to respond or not.

(continued)

Donald Schneider said...

(Continued - 2 of 2)

Basically, Mr. Peake’s idea is the theory of “Quantum Immortality.” The theory is not new and is an outgrowth of the “Many-Worlds Interpretation” of quantum mechanics. The theory states that we never really die. Rather, when we are facing, for example, a fatal heart attack in one universe, our consciousness defaults into a “parallel” universe where we either survive the event or in which it never occurred. Echoing your observations within your review of Mr. Peake’s ideas, I once made a forum post pointing out that QI smacks of solipsism, for exactly the reason you stated. That is, we just keep on going while those all around us die. Sooner or later, it seems inevitable that we will become suspicious of this seemingly preposterous reality.

A problem I have with QI is that presumably we must either live to unimaginable ages or else ultimately die at an advanced, albeit reasonable, age and there will be no more of us in any universe. If the latter, what makes that point unique in the sense that there is no longer any parallel universes to default into? Mr. Peake’s suggestion of our reliving our lives (with changes being possible) perhaps adds a meaningful variation to the theory which renders it more tenable. (I do, however, have some additional concerns which can perhaps be discussed in a subsequent post.)

Finally, one point you made in your review really jumped out at me. I too cannot see how his theory is tenable within a materialistic paradigm. Just as you inquired, what happens if we die suddenly and virtually instantly? (I loved the way you put it, by the way!) Like yourself, apparently, I believe that consciousness is the primal ground of reality and that matter is an epiphenomenon of it rather than visa versa. The latter view is the traditional Western materialistic perspective, while the former is that held within the “perennial philosophy” of the idealistic Eastern metaphysical religions.

Best regards,

Don Schneider

Dave Richards said...

Thanks Donald. I enjoyed hearing from you and have been intending to attempt a meaningful response to your comment, but I so far have been unable to find the time. I hope to do soon, but wanted to at least assure you that you have successfully lured me into your universe. Best wishes.

Donald Schneider said...

Thanks for the reply. And I hope I found my way into yours.

I understand time constraints, so if you choose to answer, whenever is fine. In the meantime, I have written a philosophical proof of a creator (of some kind, not necessarily God in the traditional sense). It is based upon Einstein’s Special Theory of Relativity. If you ever have a few minutes and have any interest, here’s the URL:

http://wwwdnschneidercom.xbuild.com/#/miscellaneous-7/4526495432

Best regards,

Don Schneider

P. S. My favorite Zen anecdote:

A Zen abbot came across two of his pupils arguing over a flag blowing in the wind. The one argued that the flag was moving while the other maintained it was the wind. The Zen Master settled the point by saying: Mind moves.

Perhaps Einstein would have made a good Buddhist